Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

13.1......What?

Today I put one foot in front of the other for 13.1 miles.

I can honestly say there were parts of me that didn't think I could do it.  And I was by no means fast.  I'm pretty sure there were walkers who finished ahead of me.  But I did it.

This morning I woke up bright and early at 5:30 am, quickly changed into my clothes which had all been laid out obsessively the night before.



Walked the dog, then bikeshared to the start of the race.  I have to say being able to take the short bike ride before the race worked out well.  I got to stretch my calves well and it warmed up my legs.

By the time the race was about to start I was feeling pretty nervous.  I didn't think I could do it, and I didn't want to make a fool out of myself.  Luckily it was pretty low key.  I think most of the people around me were there to just have fun and not worry so much about their time.

Then I went 13.1 miles.  I won't go into the mile by mile details.  I didn't take pictures because I haven't quite mastered the doing two things at once, and as I said, I was worried about finishing in the time frame allotted.  All I need to say is some miles felt great, and other miles felt awful.  By the time I hit 11 my legs didn't really want to move anymore.

Now I am the proud owner of a lovely sea foam green finisher's shirt, a pair of very sore hips, a number of ridiculously sized blisters on my feet (Not pictured)


And a gorgeous silver Tiffany's finisher necklace.  Which I kind of love.


I'm pretty proud of myself.  Now to take a million ibuprofen and drain my blisters (ewwww I know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment