Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Runners are such an interesting group of people. A mostly solo sport, in terms of competition (excepting the top racers in the world who race against one another), however inevitably running brings strangers together in ways that nothing else can.

I ran 9 miles today for the first time in my life and I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the people who waved at me, smiled at me, gave me high fives, and occasionally stopped to chat with me at crossing lights.

This is why what happened in Boston is so horrifying. A race that people spend years of their lives qualifying for, where finishing is half of the pride alone, to be attacked after finishing 26.2 miles is dismaying. I can't imagine trying to run away after putting my heart and soul into a race like that.

My heart and soul go out to the runners and citizens of the city of Boston. May the angry in the world come to understand that violent acts of terror do nothing to change the world in the way they wish to see it.






Just a few of my views on my 9 mile, very slow, very painful run today. I have serious doubts about my ability to finish 13.1 miles in the allotted time frame. but all I can do is press on and try. Better to fail halfway through the race then never to start at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment