Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Not a chef.....or the time I tried to make Tamale pie.

Yesterday:

It was a rainy dreary day.

As I perused some of my favorite blogs, I noted that two of them (carrots n cake and runeatrepeat) had recipes for warm, hearty, casserole type dishes that I wanted straight away.  A dinner idea was formed.

I hate cooking fun meals for one, so I called up a friend and asked him over for dinner.

Recipes were perused online.  I ended up deciding to put together a number of ideas, the basic recipe from Brown Eyed Baker, the idea of using lots of veggies from here, and the idea to use cotija cheese from this.

A shopping trip was made:

Veggies were chopped up and browned:


Meat and other deliciousness was added:




Everything was put together and put into the oven:


30 minutes later.....Dinner!

It was spicy.  I think using the jalapeno and the fresh salsa from Safeway took it just past where I'm comfortable.  But it was very tasty.  

Tamale Pie

Filling
1/2 lb ground turkey
3/4 medium onion diced
1 zucchini, peeled and diced
1 jalapeno, de-seeded and diced
1/2 cup (I just used what I had left) frozen corn
Fresh salsa or pico de gallo
3-4 oz cojita cheese
2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
Salt to taste

Topping
3/4 cup corn flour
1/2 cup flour
3 tablespoons butter
1 egg
1/2 cup whole milk
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon baking powder

Disclaimer:  I am not a food blogger.  I know the amount of time/effort and photographs that go into making a food blog what it should be.  I just wanted to share my dinner, since it has been awhile since I've actually put some effort into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment